Almost all the women in my family are teachers. My grandmother, mother, and cousins all do or did work for the Passaic public school district. I have just grown up around it. I always helped my mom put things together for school and set up her classroom when I was younger. At the dinner table every night my mother would always talk about teaching and all the obstacles that come along with it. So a lot of the information in this article was not new to me.
The things that stood out to me the most were the aspects of the public school system that make it difficult for a teacher to do her job. Teachers are faced with a lot of diversity in their classrooms. Between ethnic, racial, class, economic status, and cultural differences, it must be hard to meet the needs of all your students. For example almost one in every five students are the child of immigrants. These students would have grown up with a different culture. They may have very different moral, values, and goals. This is something I think is important to consider in your students. I personally think diversity is a good thing. Your students can learn more from other who are different from them. It is just a matter of celebrating their differences and not putting them at a disadvantage because of it.
-Just a few of my thoughts on the readings
Wednesday, September 12, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment